Sunday, June 3, 2012

Homespun Yarn, part deux.

I caved.

I got more homespun yarn. I know, I know. I'm just asking for more headaches.

I fell for it. I love the way it feels once it's worked. I love that it's easily maintained. I love the color blends. I just love it. Way to go, LionBrand. I once hated this stuff, but now I think I found a new addiction.

This time, I made a different photography prop.


This is a "hanging" stork pouch. I use quotation marks because that is exactly what you're NOT supposed to do.


The yarn is very soft and cozy, and stretches very well (not enough that the baby will get stuck in any stitches, ofcourse).


The opening has a diameter of about 21 in. 


The pouch itself is 9 in., top to bottom.

Okay, now here's the deal. That photo with the baby doll? That's just to show you how it'll look.
In reality, you DO NOT hang a newborn in ANYTHING. Spotter or no spotter, NEVER.
The typical use of these are for composites. To take the image with the infant in one, you will tuck the newborn into the pouch while it's curled up into the fetal position. You then lay the newborn, pouch and all, onto a bean bag. Make sure you have someone standing by the newborn at all times. Remember, safety is IMPORTANT. You then have someone tug slightly on the "tail" part, to make it look like it's being hung, and then take the image from a bird's eye view. You can then composite the image so that it looks as though it's been tied onto a branch..or whatever you want. The main thing is you DO NOT HANG THE NEWBORN EVER.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen sell these saying "it'll hold the newborn safely and it's completely okay to hang a newborn in this with a spotter!" No. No it's REALLY not. There are so many things that could go wrong, I can't even begin to list a few. Please, photograph responsibly. :)

Also, if you'd like to make this, the pattern can be found here.
I ended up using a K hook and having to crochet around a few more rows after row 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment