Friday, May 18, 2012

A House Divided.

Sometimes I wonder why Kyle and I are married.
And there's one very big reason for this.

KYLE DOESN'T LIKE CHINESE FOOD.

Okay, I grew up on a fair amount of Korean food. There's a lot that I don't like, such as kimchi, bean sprouts, etc. I can't handle spicy. Hell, I didn't like Chinese food until I was about 14. Same with seafood. My palette has changed a lot throughout the years.

When Kyle works nights, I usually get simple dinners for me and the kids. The last one I got for myself was sweet and sour chicken by Healthy Choice.
Worst. Mistake. Ever.
It was horrible. The chicken was dry, there was VERY LITTLE sauce, and...it was just a fail. I was disappointed.

So I decided that while the boy was away, the girl would play.


Tastewise, it reminds me a lot more of honey chicken, but it's so good, you won't care.
Also, this is baked. It won't be crispy unless you want to do it that way.

Tasty Baked Sweet And Sour Chicken

Sauce
1/4 c. white vinegar (use up to 1/2 c. for more "sour" flavor)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. ketchup
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar

Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts
1 c. (give or take) cornstarch
2 eggs, scrambled up
salt and pepper to taste
oil (for frying)

Throw all the ingredients for your sauce together in a bowl and, with a whisk, mix it until it's smooth. Go ahead and give it a taste to judge on how much vinegar to add.
*If you want this as a dippy sauce, I'd bring it to a simmer in a pot and let it reduce a bit.*



Set the sauce aside. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Get your cornstarch and eggs ready.


Cube your chicken breasts (I prefer them to be bite sized or just a bit bigger). Throw some salt and pepper on them, then toss them with your hands to get a nice, even coat. Use a little or a lot, it's up to you.


Heat your oil up in a deep pan. Keep it on a medium heat. You only need enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Also, wait until the oil is heated through before adding the chicken.

Throw the cubed chicken into the cornstarch for a good coating.


You don't want it to double in size (lol), just so it's covered.


A handful of chicken at a time, slosh it around in your eggs. Don't overdo it on the eggs, you want them just coated.


Fry the chicken. You're not looking to cook the chicken, just get it golden brown on the outside. This should only take a minute or two.
*If you're wanting the chicken crispy, fry it like you would fried chicken. Don't burn the outside, just make sure the chicken is actually cooked. Then there's no need for oven preheating or baking.*


Keep an eye on it and don't forget to flip the chicken to fry evenly.


Transfer the browned chicken to a greased 9x13 baking pan. I just did a quick spray of some non-stick stuff.


Take your sauce and pour it over the chicken.


Bake at 15 minute intervals for 1 hour, so you'll be pulling it out 4 times.
That's what she said.
Everytime you pull it out, give it a good mix.
teeheehee ^.^


Serve it over a bed of rice. If you want, make some more sauce to go on there.


Kyle tried it. He didn't like it. He said "Maybe with some bar-b-q sauce." Sheesh.


Selena loved it.


I'm super okay with this just being for me. SUPER okay with it.
The slow baking is mainly for the sauce, but will also be cooking the chicken for you. Cooking it slow in low heat will help keep the chicken juicy. It shouldn't be dry.
If it's dry...then just call up your local takeaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment