Thursday, May 3, 2012

Burnt Apples?! What?!

There's little things that I like more to eat in the spring than fruit cobbler. I'm a sucker for peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. *sigh*

Kyle's not a peach person, really. Or a strawberry person. Or..okay, he's not very diverse in what he eats. So when I'm making something fruit related, I try to keep it apple. He's happy with apple.

So, apple cobbler it is.


I PROMISE IT TASTES BETTER THAN IT LOOKS.


Easy Apple Cobbler (Apple can be substituted for different fruit)

1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
tart apples (i.e. granny smith), peeled and sliced (amount varies on personal preference and size of your apples)

Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Melt your butter by putting it in an 8x8 glass baking dish..pan?...and popping it in the microwave. Easy enough, right?


And yes, it should look like this...


Mix together your flour, baking powder, sugar, and milk. You could add a couple drops of vanilla, too. You know, if your heart is steering you in that direction.


This is optional, and omit this if you're using a different fruit, but I add cinnamon to the batter.


The amount you add would change to your taste, but I like it when I can see a good amount of cinnamon in the batter.


Now pour this directly into the butter .


Top with your apples...or other fruit you're using.


This is optional, and completely unnecessary, but I mix up some brown sugar and cinnamon...


...and top my apples with it. The sugar will caramelize and the taste will be heavenly, but you'll think you burned it. It's not burned though. Promise. 
Unless you actually DID burn it.


Bake it for about an hour, until the breading is getting golden.


See what I mean?


It looks burned. Destroyed. You want to cry out to the heavens, "WHY?! WHY ME?!"

But it's not burned, have no fear. Just let it cool and dig in. You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment