Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer = Zucchini

I think this started when I lived with my sister.
Actually, I'm almost positive that's where it started.

You see, I never really ate veggies growing up, no matter what they were in. I always thought they were disgusting and my stomach would wretch just thinking about them.
My sister made some zucchini bread one summer and I tried it.
And I liked it. A lot.

Ever since then, my mouth watered every summer for it.


And now, it's a summer thing in our house. Every summer, almost. And thank God my mom grows zucchini.

Summer Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. white sugar
2 c. grated zucchini (this is about 2 medium sized zucchinis, and leave the skin on 'em)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
(You can add about 1/2 c. walnuts, but I'm allergic, so they aren't in mine)

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease and flour two loaf pans.
Beat the eggs until they start to foam. Add the sugar and oil.


Mix in the zucchini and vanilla. It's going to look disgusting.


Combine your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet.



I know it doesn't look any better.
Pour half the batter in each pan.



Bake for 60-70 minutes. You can test them with a toothpick to see if they're done.


Let them cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, then let them cool on wire racks.
Let them cool completely before you slice them.

I like them best with some butter spread on a slice. It's heavenly, really.


Also, this is one of the first recipes my parents actually liked. Go figure.
But they're simple people. Eh.


No comments:

Post a Comment