Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pinteresting: DIY Eye Makeup Remover

Original Pin Here.
When I saw this, to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I have an eye makeup remover that works okay, and when I'm in a bind, I use extra virgin olive oil. Yes, you CAN just use that. It works, and it's very moisturizing for your skin. Unlike other oils, it won't clog your pores. It's just an all around amazement. 

But I figured I'd give it a shot anyway, because extra virgin olive oil can get a bit pricey, and I don't necessarily like all the chemicals in eye make up remover.

The best part about this stuff is you can use it to take the makeup off your face as well.

Here's what you're gonna need.


1 c. water
1 1/2 tbsp. tear free baby shampoo
1/8 tsp. baby oil (I don't like using baby oil. I used extra virgin olive oil instead.)



Add it all into your storage jar.


You'll notice the oil floats on top. Each time before use, you'll want to give it a good shake.


Unfortunately, the container I used wasn't as sealed as I assumed it would be.
I had to switch to an old (clean) sauce jar.


Shakey shakey.


Aaaaaand you get a ton of bubbles. Kind of sucks, but you can work with it.


So, here's the test. I'll be comparing the stuff I just made to the stuff I use currently.


I'm going to use waterproof mascara, because it plays a key role in make up removal for me. If you can get waterproof mascara off your lashes with makeup remover, it's a good day.


I made two marks on my arm, then let them dry completely.


And here we go.
The left side is the homemade remover. The right side is the store bought remover.
I dabbed a bit of remover onto a cotton ball.
Here's one swipe.


Here's the second swipe.


Here's the third swipe.


Clearly, the homemade stuff CAN work, but it's not up to my standards per se.
It took a bit of rubbing and strength to get the last bits off. Something you DON'T want to have to do around your eyes. The tugging and pulling will cause damage and may lead to wrinkles. I don't want wrinkles.


But, now I'm going to show you something else.


A little bit of extra virgin olive oil onto a cotton ball.


Here's one swipe to the same waterproof mascara.


And the second swipe.


That's right. It's ALL gone. Clearly, the extra virgin olive oil works the best. Not to mention, the moisturizing of it is really great for around your eyes. I've never had an issue with it irritating my eyes before, either. 

So, it's all up to you on what you want to use, but the DIY remover doesn't do amazing things with waterproof makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment