Friday, October 26, 2012

DIY: Argyle Nails

Okay, to be completely honest, I'm not a huge fan of prints in general. Maybe because I can't really wear them, or maybe I just don't enjoy being "up and up" on the whole fashion thing. I wear a lot of black.

It's the color of my soul. >.<

The only time I can wear any type of print is if it's on my fingernails.
Today, I'm going to show you how to make an argyle print easily.

Here's what you need:


Base coat - To protect your nails
3 colors of your choice
Nail striper in your choice of color
Top coat - To protect it from chipping

Aaaaand here we go.
The photos are pretty self explanatory, but I'm going to type it out as well, because that's just how I do things.




1. Paint your nails with your base coat and let dry. Paint on your first color. I suggest doing one of the lighter colors you use. Let it dry completely.
2. Take a piece of tape and stick it to your palm a couple times (3 was the magic number for me). Then tape off your nail diagonally. Repeat the same process with another piece of tape until you make a "V" shape at the top of your nail.
3. Paint on your color.
4. Remove the tape slowly, before the nail polish dries.
5. Let your top "V" dry completely. Now tape off another "V" on the side of your nail.
6. Apply your third color. 
7. Remove the tape carefully before this polish dries.
8-9. Once the polish is completely dried on one side, repeat steps 5-7 on the other side of your nail.
10. This is optional, but you can take a q-tip (or a brush) dipped in nail polish remover and clean up around your nails.
11. Taking your striper, make 4 lines that intersect at the top, bottom, and sides of your nail.
12. Seal it all with a top coat.

And then you're done!
If you have a fast drying top coat (like Seche Vite) I'd suggest using it between the taped layers, because it really speeds up the process. Without it, well...it could take a while (speaking from personal experience).

Also, if you have a hard time painting with your non-dominant hand, just keep practicing.


My right (dominant) hand doesn't look very great, but it works. It's not like it'll last for a good while, anyway. I DO have kids. And dishes. And laundry. And..yeah, you get it.

Hope you enjoyed this quick DIY!


No comments:

Post a Comment