Saturday, August 13, 2011

As shepherd's watched their flocks..er..food..by night?


I don't understand why this is called Shepherd's Pie. I probably never will. But I will always understand the deliciousness of this. Not to mention, the comfort aspect. It always seems to have a calming effect on me. Why? I'll never know. But it's a great way to get the kids (and the husband) to eat some veggies. There's nothing wrong with that!
Myriah's notorious for picking out EVERY green bean, saying "I don't LIKE this one, mommy. I don't LIKE this one." She won't do that for this. She eats it up QUICK. Hell, Selena takes 3 servings..but she's been eating 3 servings a LOT lately. Helloooooo growth spurt.


First layer...looks like puke. I'm sorry, but it does. It almost makes me not want to eat it. But it smells good. Oh, the dilemma.


Second layer, mashed potatoes! Yum! These are my cheesy garlic variety. *mouth waters*


Ready to be baked! Yay!



Simple Shepherd's Pie

1 lb. ground beef
2 c. mixed vegetables (I just use one of the frozen bags)
1 can (more or less, depending on your taste) beef gravy, enough to coat the vegetables and ground beef
Mashed potatoes (enough to cover the top of your ground beef mix, I'd say maybe 3 c. total, but I'm not sure)
Shredded cheddar cheese (the amount depends on your taste)

Preheat your oven to 425. 
Brown and drain your ground beef. Mix in the vegetables and beef gravy. Pour it and level it in a 9x13 baking pan.
Top with an even layer of mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes could be from scratch, left over from another night, or from a box. It doesn't really matter. But I like to make mine from scratch. And I think the flavor of the cheesy garlic potatoes really compliments everything else.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese, and bake another 5 minutes.
Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. This is so it cools a bit and doesn't fall to shit when you try to get a piece.



Mmmmm final product in all its cheesy goodness. ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment