Saturday, April 21, 2012

Stay puft.

So, when I made my whoopie pies, I didn't have any marshmallow fluff on hand. Kinda disappointing, to be honest. I always mean to buy some of this stuff because there's random points where I'm dying for a fluffernutter. Yum.

I remembered seeing a homemade marshmallow fluff on Pinterest (I know, I know, it's an evil site, right?) and I figured it would work better than not having whoopie pies at all.

Yeah, I get it. I'm a fat kid.


But tell me this doesn't look delicious. I totally ate it with a spoon.

Original recipe posted here.



Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

3 large egg whites at room temperature (trust me, this helps)
2/3 c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
3/4 c. light corn syrup
1/3 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla (I think I did another 1/2 tsp., because I love vanilla)

Beat the egg whites with a whisk attachment on an electric mixer until they're all frothy.


While the mixer is going, slowly add in the 2 tbsp. sugar. Beat it until soft peaks form in the mix.
More or less, if you've made a meringue before, you got this. Go ahead and brush the dirt off your shoulders, too.


In a small saucepan, combine water, corn syrup, and your remaining 2/3 c. sugar. Bring it to a boil over medium heat.


Keep it boiling, and mix it, until it's at the hard ball stage (if you're using a candy thermometer [which, I suggest you do] it'll be around 242 - 248 F). This will take around 10 minutes.


While your mixer is going SLOW, like SLOW slow, very CAREFULLY add your liquid sugar mix to your meringue mix. I'm telling you, BE CAREFUL. Things with high sugar contents get HOT hot. This can hurt you, and innocent bystanders, if it sprays everywhere. If need be, you can turn the mixer off completely and add the liquid little by little, mixing inbetween.


Once your sugar's all in there, turn your mixer onto high and go to town for 3-4 minutes. Then add your vanilla and beat the living daylights out of it for another minute. You want it glossy, fluffy, and looking like an angel's pillow.

Or, just to look like marshmallow fluff.


Then give it a taste. I can promise you won't be disappointed.

I put mine in a old, clean margarine tub. I don't suggest doing this. I suggest using a glass air tight container. 

Just take my word on it.

Oh, and it tastes JUST like marshmallow fluff. It makes some amazing fluffernutters.


No comments:

Post a Comment