Thursday, March 1, 2012

"VIOLET! You're turning VIOLET, VIOLET!"


I love Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.

It always goes wrong at the dessert, right?


PIEEEEEE!

Who doesn't love pie?
Technically, I baked this for Kyle, but I'm the only one that's eaten any of it. >.<



Old School Blueberry Pie

*I tried a new pie crust when I made this, and ended up having to use a store bought crust because it was so bad. I'd suggest using the pie crust I posted in my apple pie recipe, if not using a store bought crust.*

3/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. water
3 1/2 c. blueberries (fresh is better, but I used frozen)
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (seriously, fresh makes a difference)

So, this is mainly just a how to do the innards step by step, since I'm not going to repost the pie crust.

Combine your sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and water in a saucepan. Heat it on medium until it's thickened. You don't want to stir it TOO much, just here and there to make sure nothing's burning.


You want to make sure it's thickened well or else your innards will be runny. A good way to gauge it (for me atleast) is to drag your spoon/spatula/etc. along the mixture and make sure it takes a couple seconds for it to refill itself.


Set it aside and mix it occasionally, letting it cool completely.


While you let it cool, now is a good time to make your crust (or get your premade crust ready).
Once cooled, pour this mix into the blueberries. Add the lemon juice into the mess and mix it until combined.


Pour this into your pie crust.


Top it with your other crust. Crimp the edges and cut some vents into the top.


Sprinkle the top with some sugar and bake at 425 for about 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 and bake it for another 20-25 minutes. To avoid browning around the edge of the crust, you can cover the crimped edge in tin foil, but I haven't ever had an issue with it.


Let it cool before cutting into it. And please believe, there's nothing like an old fashioned pie. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment