Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cooking + Kids = Hard


Gabe's been in and out of his separation anxiety phase. But the only time it kicks in full blown is when he knows I'm making or have food.

Boys. Growing boys. Ugh.

Ontop of that, money's been pretty tight. Christmas put anyone and everyone in a bind when added in with the economy.

(Times is hard...Times is HAAAAAAAAAARD. - Channeling Sweeney Todd)

Needless to say, I've had to try and figure out how to make a good dinner for little monies.

Alas. Soup.

No, I didn't just throw soup in a pot and call it mine.


It's simple. It's pretty cheap. It's chicken.

My favorite things all in one.



Cream of Chicken Covered Chicken

5-6 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
milk
seasoning of your choice (I used basil, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, and garlic powder)

That's it. Awesome, right?

Preheat your oven to 350.
Trim the fat from your chicken breasts. Place them all in a row on your cutting board (if you can, you can put them in your baking dish for this) and start topping them with your seasoning.


Now place these, seasoned side down, in your baking dish. Season the top.


Set the chicken aside for a minute.

Open your cans of soup and pour the soup into a mixing bowl.


Now fill your soup cans with milk.


Add the milk to the soup in the bowl.
Using a whisk, mix the soup and milk together until there's no clumps of soup left. There will be clumps, but those should just be chicken. I added a couple dashes of hot sauce to it, just for a kick of flavor. Totally optional.


Pour the soup over the chicken. You'll probably have a good amount left over. You can use one can + one can of milk, but I like the extra sauce to pour over my chicken and whatnot. Honestly, I think you would too, but you know yourself better than I do.


Bake this for 90 minutes. 
See what I did there? Saying 90 minutes v. 1 hour and 30 minutes makes me feel fancy.


Serve this with whatever side you choose. I picked macaroni and cheese, but I think it'd be delicious over rice or egg noodles. With the extra soup spooned over it, ofcourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment